Geist2 Public Beta - 2.1.0.2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist2 Public Beta - 2.1.0.2

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Lawrence_fx

Geist2 Public Beta - 2.1.0.2

Postby Lawrence_fx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi all,

A new Geist2 public beta update is now available to download from your FXpansion account. Please let us know if you encounter any issues with this update and we'll investigate accordingly.

Release notes are as follows:

Resolved issues:

[2.0.6.5] 'Save Kit' results in the same window as 'Save Kit As...'.
[2.0.7.51] Not possible to scroll in MIDI console.
[2.0.7.52] Transient and Divide modes have two states but should be either/or.
[2.0.7.52] Mapped pad parameter does not apply to all pads when 'Apply to all pads' is enabled.
[2.0.7.53] 'Pad selection follows MIDI' is enabled when opening Geist2 but does not have a check against it.
[2.0.7.53] Sample End marker moves when Sample Start marker is adjusted.
[2.0.7.53] 10+ second white screen hang in Reason 9.5 before successful instantiation.
[2.0.7.53] Blue dot appearing on empty patterns in pattern selector.
[2.0.7.53] 'Missing file' prompt does not occur in DAW if sample location is changed without saving preset.
[2.0.7.53] 'Failed to load the REX DLL' error appears in Reason 9.5 on Windows.
[2.0.7.53] Transmod is removed from pad parameter when Logic project is saved.
[2.0.7.53] Clicking 'Save' and then cancelling quits Geist2 instead of returning to current preset.
[2.0.9.1] Crash when applying transmod to looper in pad parameter.
[2.0.9.1] 'Save changes?' prompt appears in demo mode.
[2.0.9.1] Right-clicking transmod source to remove all modulation does not remove depth applied to transmod.
[2.0.9.1] 'Loop during preview' button in Slicer doesn't work.
[2.0.9.4] Engine/parameter changes in Reason cause sluggishness.
[2.0.9.4] Crash when binding effects param to MIDI CC in host DAW.
[2.0.9.4] Effects CC mapping removed when switching engines.

Known issues:

[2.1.0.1] Removing effect does not remove corresponding CC mappings.
[2.1.0.1] Re-opening DAW project loses effects CC/host mapping (but mapping remains in window).

Thanks!

brock712000

Re: Geist2 Public Beta - 2.1.0.2

Postby brock712000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks! The start modes for my scenes now save in the presets as I like.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks for the update.

[2.0.7.52] Mapped pad parameter does not apply to all pads when 'Apply to all pads' is enabled.
- 'Focus' in the mapping window is not functioning, now always on. The mapped parameter is always applied to the selected pad but with relative, not continuous control.

Looping
- Audio artifacts still present when using alternate looping in combination with chromatic playback on sounds with high frequencies. (Anyone else?)
- X-fade looping still unable to produce the smooth results demonstrated in Simpler. Noticeable transition and volume changes at loop points still present.
Example here: https://youtu.be/mLHoglMRtUo

Cheers.
Last edited by FluxMachina on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 am

FluxMachina wrote:Thanks for the update.

- 'Focus' in the mapping window is not functioning, now always on. The mapped parameter is always applied to the selected pad but with relative, not continuous control.

Looping
- Audio artifacts still present when using alternate looping in combination with chromatic playback on sounds with high frequencies. (Anyone else?)
- X-fade looping still unable to produce the smooth results demonstrated in Simpler. Noticeable transition and volume changes at loop points still present.

Cheers.

Thanks, we'll investigate. Do you find that there is a difference in the Focus functionality between this version and v2.0.7.53?

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:Do you find that there is a difference in the Focus functionality between this version and v2.0.7.53?

Yes, it doesn't work any more. An assigned controller affects whichever pad is selected even when focus is not checked. Here's the bit from the manual about 'focus' if anyone's curious.

Focus:
This setting is only available for engine/pad/layer-specific controls. It implements the mapping on the currently 'focused' element's control. For example, activating the Focus setting for a layer's Tune or Cutoff control results in the mapping being active on the currently focused layer. If it is deactivated (this is the default state), the mapping is absolute, to the specific engine/pad/layer of the mapped parameter.
The Focus setting is unavailable for 'global' controls such as Master channel or Aux channel controls.

The fix in itself is great. Once focus is sorted it will be good to have a play with that. Nice one.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 am

FluxMachina wrote:
Lawrence_fx wrote:Do you find that there is a difference in the Focus functionality between this version and v2.0.7.53?

Yes, it doesn't work any more. An assigned controller affects whichever pad is selected even when focus is not checked. Here's the bit from the manual about 'focus' if anyone's curious.

Focus:
This setting is only available for engine/pad/layer-specific controls. It implements the mapping on the currently 'focused' element's control. For example, activating the Focus setting for a layer's Tune or Cutoff control results in the mapping being active on the currently focused layer. If it is deactivated (this is the default state), the mapping is absolute, to the specific engine/pad/layer of the mapped parameter.
The Focus setting is unavailable for 'global' controls such as Master channel or Aux channel controls.

The fix in itself is great. Once focus is sorted it will be good to have a play with that. Nice one.

Interesting, having trouble reproducing this issue - is this happening in standalone or within a host?

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Good Work.....

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks. Great to see something at last.

However, these controller mapping / focus issues are still a showstopper for me.

Is there likely to be another update soon?
Windows 7 64 - i7 4790k - 16GB ram - SSD.
Windows 10 64 - HP X360 - i6200 - 8GB - SSD
Studio One, Samplitude, Reaper, Bitwig.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm

kickthebox wrote:Thanks. Great to see something at last.

However, these controller mapping / focus issues are still a showstopper for me.

Is there likely to be another update soon?

We're working on getting another update out soon, but we've had trouble reproducing the issues you're seeing - with Focus enabled, the mapping applies to the same parameter in all 8 engines. With Focus disabled, only the parameter on the particular engine that was mapped will react. Are you unable to enable/disable Focus altogether? Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue entirely.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 am

Lawrence_fx wrote:...we've had trouble reproducing the issues you're seeing - with Focus enabled...

Here's the video showing the 'Focus' bug. The check box doesn't work any more and Geist treats it as always on.
I've checked and unchecked it in the video just in case. I also checked and unchecked the 'Pad' and 'Layer' buttons to make sure. Geist was reset and all mappings cleared beforehand.
https://youtu.be/aJl83s1LoqA

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 am

FluxMachina wrote:
Lawrence_fx wrote:...we've had trouble reproducing the issues you're seeing - with Focus enabled...

Here's the video showing the 'Focus' bug. The check box doesn't work any more and Geist treats it as always on.
I've checked and unchecked it in the video just in case. I also checked and unchecked the 'Pad' and 'Layer' buttons to make sure. Geist was reset and all mappings cleared beforehand.
https://youtu.be/aJl83s1LoqA

Great, thanks for the video - I'll pass this on to the development team.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 am

Maybe I'm smoking something but a lot of "known issues" seem to have disappeared and have not ended up "fixed" in this release?

http://www.fxpansion1.com/drew/Geist_2. ... Notes.html

djthermal

Postby djthermal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Okay, so after holding off on Geist v2 for a long time due to concerns about stability, I went for it. After using the standalone app for literally 2 minutes (configuring some basic mappings to the browser and sample playback parameters), it crashed. Restarted it. Crashed again. And again. Talk about huge disappointment. I would have thought it was stable by now. I am on High Sierra, btw.

Hoping there is an easy fix for this?

ThrahJazzAssassin

Postby ThrahJazzAssassin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:49 am

Just bought Geist2 in sale. Installed latest beta.. Win10 64. Host:REAPER64. I had one crash on the first day experimenting, pushing all buttons. But it's been pretty stable since. couple hours in. very impressed. Even just for the step sequencer, it's the best I've found. Tried and loved Stochas for the probability feature and HY-RPE for the variable element pattern length. Geist2 does all that. It does everything. Holy mackerel.

Gaijin

Re: Geist2 Public Beta - mapping step length quirky behaviour

Postby Gaijin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Firstly, thanks for the update. Never stopped using Geist2 but using it even more now.

Am not sure if this is incorrect behaviour or not but when you map lane control to a midi controller on a 16 step pattern and reduce step number you cannot return the end point back to step 16. Oddly it does return back to end position on 17 steps but doesn't on any other step numbers.

Not sure if I have explained this very well. Give me a shout if you need more clarity.

Return to “Geist2”