Editing in Song Mode - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Editing in Song Mode

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Martin Dunk

Editing in Song Mode

Postby Martin Dunk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a query regarding song mode in Geist 2.1.0.2.

When i pencil in the various patterns into the arrangement section of geist, if I want to restart playback from bar 8 for instance, it wont let me, playback defaults to the beginning of the song and not from the point I would like to start playback.

As a way of explanation, in ableton lives arrangement view, if i want to start song playback from a certain bar, I click on that bar until I see the speaker icon and my song will begin playback from that point.

Is there any feature in geist that I have missed which allows me to do this?

Any assistance from geist users would be appreciated.

Regards,
Martin Dunk

Lawrence_fx

Re: Editing in Song Mode

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Martin,

Given that the core sequencing engine of Geist2 is based around a classic step sequencer from traditional drum machines, a pattern will always start from step 1 upon playback. However, in Song mode, when running Geist2 as a standalone application, you can click in the bar number marker to progress the position of the song. Please see the following .gif which demonstrates this:

If you're running Geist2 within a DAW such as Ableton Live, the song will be locked to the exact position of the DAW transport, so you'll need to navigate the song in Geist2 using the DAW transport navigation.

Vandeb5590

Re: Editing in Song Mode

Postby Vandeb5590 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:55 pm

I instinctively did the same moves on your .gif as I do on my screen when I'm using fxpansion, saw it react as it would have if I was working on my own computer, and thought "wow, this is awesome, they managed to make a forum based version" for a second... :lol:
But to come back to the main topic, that's something I'd like to do as well, I've been spending a lot of time trying to find a solution... while I'm supposed to write an insurance program for these French Riviera houses :oops: so I'd like to be able to procrastinate effectively by composing music so that I can go back to my real job faster, because as long as I don't come up with an awesome song, it'll be my main income source!

Return to “Geist2”