Geist 2 Alternatives? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist 2 Alternatives?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

RTZ

Geist 2 Alternatives?

Postby RTZ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm

So I really loved the idea of this thing. It's a shame it's never been a solid app, at least in my case from day one. Geist 1.0 was probably more stable but it still had its share of closing or shutting down a DAW without a moments notice.

Are there any other programs that work with the same vision and/or concept?

Oblak

Re: Geist 2 Alternatives?

Postby Oblak » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't know any drum alternative, but I start use UVI Falcon as alternative. Unfortunately it sometimes crash too as you describe and now I am going back to Geist 2. Another altnernative can be Steinberg Halion, but I don't have it.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:36 pm

There is no Geist alternative. Its the best drum machine plug in on the market.

RTZ

Postby RTZ » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Well, it has the potential — hopes aren't too high that the necessary work to make it a mainstay is gonna happen.

LYTZ1

Postby LYTZ1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 am

The only real "Alternative" is still the (older) XFER Nerve IMHO.

Other options that are pretty fun are for example:

- Altas (driven by HY-RPE Sequencer or Five12 Numerology's Drumseq)

- Phalanx (also would need to be driven by external Seq)

- Akai MPC 2.0. Here the strong point is the hardware-software interaction. And automation.

- Maschine. Same. Never liked it though, don't know why.

- FL Studio20 (latest versions upped the sequencer a lot.
(i.e. Independent Track length and Euclidean Rhythms etc...)

- Reason. You can build Geist 2 in Reason. Really. You will need commercial extensions though,
nothing from the Stockplugs will get you there... The advantage here you get multiple very good sequencer options.
For some examples take a look at Lectric Panda's Kompulsion, Propulsion, and PSQ-1684.

- XLN XO. Completely different but very fun. Sequencer is very limited though in comparison with Geist
but has other strengths that are just too fun to use... When Midi import is there, this will become the thing to beat IMHO.

There are a lot of good options. Real 1-to-1 alternatives? Hard to say, don't think so.
But some of the mentioned ones are just way more fun to use and get me where I want to be much faster.

Best,
tL.

isu89

Postby isu89 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:49 pm

I would love to take a dive into Geist 2, but the future support seems like a big unknown unfortunately. Thanks for these alternatives

lunaorbit

Postby lunaorbit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 am

Steinberg Groove Agent.

Groove agent is not quite as good with workflow, but it is similar to Geist with pattern edits and mixer channels etc.
No stability issues for me with groove agent & cubase.

RTZ

Postby RTZ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 am

LYTZ1 wrote:The only real "Alternative" is still the (older) XFER Nerve IMHO.

Other options that are pretty fun are for example:

- Altas (driven by HY-RPE Sequencer or Five12 Numerology's Drumseq)

- Phalanx (also would need to be driven by external Seq)

- Akai MPC 2.0. Here the strong point is the hardware-software interaction. And automation.

- Maschine. Same. Never liked it though, don't know why.

- FL Studio20 (latest versions upped the sequencer a lot.
(i.e. Independent Track length and Euclidean Rhythms etc...)

- Reason. You can build Geist 2 in Reason. Really. You will need commercial extensions though,
nothing from the Stockplugs will get you there... The advantage here you get multiple very good sequencer options.
For some examples take a look at Lectric Panda's Kompulsion, Propulsion, and PSQ-1684.

- XLN XO. Completely different but very fun. Sequencer is very limited though in comparison with Geist
but has other strengths that are just too fun to use... When Midi import is there, this will become the thing to beat IMHO.

Great stuff.

Love XO. Have Reason, true. Never like Maschine either, too cumbersome for me. Will check the others, thanks. Honestly, I thought being bought by Roli would give them the funds needed to make these apps as solid as say, D16 or SoundToys

supaproisloosewigg@gmail.com

Postby supaproisloosewigg@gmail.com » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:24 am

Vengeance Sound Phalanx(UI scaling works magnificently) has been what I've had to start using due to geist 2's buggy UI... I aware it's the sadest thing in the world too, cuz I agree, geist 2 if worked correctly would be to the the best Plugin in it's catagory. I have often wondered about Motu BPM(although old).

Return to “Geist2”