GEIST 2 CRASHES WITH WHITE SCREEN - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

GEIST 2 CRASHES WITH WHITE SCREEN

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

STUDIO303

GEIST 2 CRASHES WITH WHITE SCREEN

Postby STUDIO303 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 am

I am so disappointed that Geist 2 won't even run on my PC system using standalone or Cubase 8.5 (latest update) so is there anyone else who is experiencing this problem?

WINDOWS 7 SP1 (64 BIT)
16 GB RAM
CUBASE 8.5

Thanks
Dave
CRASHING.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CakeAlexS

Re: GEIST 2 CRASHES WITH WHITE SCREEN

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon May 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Is windows update fully up to date, and cubase fully patched up?
Any logs?

STUDIO303

Postby STUDIO303 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:22 pm

I have updated to the latest Cubase version and Windows 7 is SP1.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon May 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Again strongly advise windows update is up to date (by running it over and over again until there are no more updates to install). This has worked for others. If that does not fix it FX Expansion are probably going to ask you to post logs when they come back on line tomorrow.

Another thing to do is update your audio interface firmware and drivers to the latest.

jesussaddle

Postby jesussaddle » Mon May 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Yes, I'm in this category. Unable to load the plugin in my DAW..... Geist 2 is crashing Ableton Live Intro, and Reaper 64 (fully updated).

My audio card is fully updated in firmware and soiftware (RME FIREFACE) . I'm running win 7 64 bit SP1. All my important Windows Updates were completely successfully in January (with some "failed" unimportant and recommended installs). After this I began to realize the search for updates was a common bug. I was simply experiencing the "endless waiting for updates to be found" error that so many have experienced.

I have heard it takes 2 days for some to allow Windows Update to determine which updates are needed. In my case, the last iteration had a number of failed installs (non were marked Important), and it still took several hours to find those; since they failed, I presumed they would simply fail again so I didn't run update and wait hours a second, third, and fourth time. I wasn't about to wait that long again...

Until now, since I do want Geist 2 to work.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon May 30, 2016 11:36 pm

jesussaddle wrote:Yes, I'm in this category. Unable to load the plugin in my DAW..... Geist 2 is crashing Ableton Live Intro, and Reaper 64 (fully updated).

My audio card is fully updated in firmware and soiftware (RME FIREFACE) . I'm running win 7 64 bit SP1. All my important Windows Updates were completely successfully in January (with some "failed" unimportant and recommended installs). After this I began to realize the search for updates was a common bug. I was simply experiencing the "endless waiting for updates to be found" error that so many have experienced.

I have heard it takes 2 days for some to allow Windows Update to determine which updates are needed. In my case, the last iteration had a number of failed installs (non were marked Important), and it still took several hours to find those; since they failed, I presumed they would simply fail again so I didn't run update and wait hours a second, third, and fourth time. I wasn't about to wait that long again...

Until now, since I do want Geist 2 to work.

Looks like you've created another thread https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7581905 (would have been more useful to have posted here to be honest it would have stopped me searching for other solutions :roll: ).

STUDIO303

Postby STUDIO303 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 pm

I just can't get my head around loading every single update to make Geist 2 work as 100% of Fxpansions plugins work and every other VST on the planet also never fails this badly. I have never needed to update service pack 1 as it is the standard for programs to work by and updates for Windows mostly are for internet defense etc.

How many others have had this problem and which updates would help the program run without issues?

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 pm

STUDIO303 wrote:I just can't get my head around loading every single update to make Geist 2 work as 100% of Fxpansions plugins work and every other VST on the planet also never fails this badly. I have never needed to update service pack 1 as it is the standard for programs to work by and updates for Windows mostly are for internet defense etc.

How many others have had this problem and which updates would help the program run without issues?

It's hardly an uncommon scenario for software to become unstable/stop functioning because windows libraries are out of date. We've now had three windows 7 users in a row fixed by this advice so I suggest you do what everybody else has done if you want to get it working. Btw windows 10 forces updates now and this is one of the reasons. Anyway you have your solution here I think up to you if you want to try to fix it or not.

STUDIO303

Postby STUDIO303 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for the good advise you have made a difference and now is working perfectly.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Tue May 31, 2016 11:20 pm

Rockin' :)

jesussaddle

Postby jesussaddle » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 am

Up and running! It was indeed a windows update failure related issue. But it was because my windows update was no longer working. I found other people online with the same issue, who would just wait and wait and no updates are located by windows to install.

I found out there was a specific hotfix for getting windows update to work again after this symptom of (unreported to the user) stalling, but the hotfix wouldn't work either. And so I dug around for an hour online (again) and finally found that to run this hotfix one needed to stop and then restart the update service, I then was able to go forward. I ran the update (In the 6 months since I had done one, there were 180 updates or so needed...). The update took from early afternoon to 1 am. to download and run.

The sad thing is that Google is not helpful for getting specific answers to such issues with computer hardware/software.

Fortunately for me now my Geist 2 is running.

I have asked that the hotfix, and its additional step as above be referenced for any users who are hung up with trying to get windows update to work, and it just stalls.

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:53 am

I had the same problem after a complete resetup of my sytem, and my original Windows 7 dvd is old and doesn't include the updates from a while back.
The one that is ABSOLUTELY needed to run Geist2 is this one : kb2670838. It includes direct2D, direct3D, and a lot of other codecs necessary to run this (and internet explorer 10, and 11, amongs others)
I didn't have it, and same thing happened, no way to even start Geist2. You don't need to do the whole update of windows 7 to run G2, just at least this one. Not that I don't recommand updating your system with at least the security fixes from MS, to do it if you have troubles with the update service of W7, there is a great free tool to do so without the annoyance of windows update bug : WSUS offline update, very, very usefull. In addition Never10 will keep you from the naging for upgrading to win10.
KB2670838 will solve this one specific launching bug though, easy to dl from MS website, if just want to fix this problem without doing the entire update of your system.
Cheers.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:33 am

Good info thanks! Nice to get specifics.
Would still recommend though windows update is kept fully up to date.

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 pm

I ran into the problem, and I didn't figure it out right away, I use Geist2 so much, that was very frustrating :( , so if I can save anyone else the trouble, I'm glad to.
I agree for the updates, it's the best way to avoid problems. And the problem won't occur for much users, because it's rare that people start with such an old build of windows 7, I guess most installation include this one kb now.
It's just for those who start from scratch with an old original dvd or image that they saved. And also for those who remove some updates or don't install all of them, like I can do for some kb that don't fix much (telemetric crap and such). This one has to be included, and it can't be removed or it will cause trouble.

PdeH

Postby PdeH » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 pm

This Screen White Out is one of many bugs encountered during my use of this app. As a music pro I can't be wasting time embattled and what is most frustrating is the potential Geist 2 promises - its tantalising, like the cute Catholic girl at High School that never put out past 1 st base -
it makes one want it to work even more.

If any of us were judged and found wanting like Geist 2 we wouldn't have any work. Fxpansion must start taking their resonsibilities to their customers a bit more seriously.

Came here o vent my frustrations after trying to accomplish a very simple task using Geist 2. Three hours later my only reward was a comprehensive and consistent rally of screen ' white out' crashes to answer my efforts.Had to break out Kontakt and finish the task with this old work horse instead,

Now in the past Fxpansion's drum library Instruments were known for being finicky at install. However once safely done never really gave me too much bother. However this is relative. Compared with any rival applications, like Ocean Wave or Steven Slate's drum inst library, EzDrummer ( have every iteration ) et al over time prove to be temperamental.

In context, seems to me FXpansion adhere to a level of quality control we expect from 1st gen RTAs / AU / VST sampler instruments - if you're older than thirty you'll no doubt remember how it was back then. Software, in its infancy, promised to be finicky and unstable to a level often only rivalled by Geist 2. If competitors' choose an engine like Kontakt to run their shit on there's a reason for this, and we all know what it is....reliability. Hell, even UVI, another round the houses installation fear monkey proposition, doesn't crash half as often as FXpansion's products.
Maybe this is the reason behind the surprising lack of You Tube content one can find online for, in particular FXpantdown's Geist 2.

I'd overlook the unintuitive GUI, the weird internal architecture that rather than giving you a million routing options, fails to signpost how to do the obvious, for example the Aux layout - its just weird.

Anyway, like Eileen McNaughton the beautiful Catholic girl at my school, Geist 2 promises much and doesn't even deliver a two minute finger bang.
Laters People
P de H

Return to “Geist2”