What's going on? - Page 4 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

What's going on?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

loekazz

Re: What's going on?

Postby loekazz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Guys, you need to realize that you can't just sell a product that is still full of bugs and not finished yet!
It's even more bizar you just stop fixing things that should be fixed already months ago, and don't communicate about it anymore...

Cu and good luck getting things on the rails again.

L.
Last edited by loekazz on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

loekazz

Postby loekazz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:
quantize wrote:Looks like the buyout is not business as usual

v angry i've sunk this much money into fxp products so far, esp Geist 2. Damn.

The next update for Geist2 is currently in the beta testing stage and we aim to release it as soon as possible. We understand your frustration given that the length of time since the last update has been longer than previous updates, but please rest assured that we are still developing new updates.

Almost 2 months ago...

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Happy February !

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Yeah, while it's nice that the devs have been occasionally posting in here to let us know things are getting worked on, the months are stretching on and on, with zero updates, which makes those words ring rather hollow.....

is anything on the way? This program is GREAT but it has lots of instability issues. I'd love to be using it more but frankly with the various crashes, glitches and inconsistencies, it doesn't invite regular use at this stage.

-M

quantize

Postby quantize » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm just not touching or buying anything Roli related or owned until it looks like the company is going to take care of customers in reality rather than words..

I'm sure there's a plethora of excuses about company strategy blah blah blah, you do that in ur own time/expense, not customers.

no content, nothing..not sinking more money into anything fxp for the moment.
Cubase 10 • Pro Tools 12 • Reason 10.x
FXpansion : DCAM Synth Squad, Strobe 2, Geist, Geist 2, Etch & Bloom

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon (32GB Ram) OSX 10.13.6
UAD Apollo Quad • MOTU 828 mk2 & mk3

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:22 am

I'm just not touching or buying anything Roli related or owned.

+1

Geist 2 release has been a disgrace.

I have been checking back here regularly for months in the vain hope that a usable version has been released and all we get is the same old "a beta will be out SOON"

I for one will not be buying anything FX or Roli related ever again.
Windows 7 64 - i7 4790k - 16GB ram - SSD.
Windows 10 64 - HP X360 - i6200 - 8GB - SSD
Studio One, Samplitude, Reaper, Bitwig.

konfront

Postby konfront » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:53 pm

kickthebox wrote:

+100

I for another.

While we're at it, any suggestions for a replacement? Was looking at Battery but the lack of an internal sequencer limits me from what 'I've learned to love with Geist before it became a dud

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 pm

konfront wrote:
kickthebox wrote:

+100

I for another.

While we're at it, any suggestions for a replacement? Was looking at Battery but the lack of an internal sequencer limits me from what 'I've learned to love with Geist before it became a dud

I turned to Geist from Maschine become NI were basically doing little with their sequencer and had so many problems.

Ironically now the situation is vice versa. It's sad that a great product, which I really routed for on NI forums (probably made them a few sales) can lose it's reputation by releasing too early and not fully following up customers complaints. It certainly seems the situation could have been resolved but since this takeover it feels like abandonware.

These forums are pretty dead now.

I'm esp angry as I put a lot of wasted hours into this logging bugs. Reminds me of what I did with Sonar.

quantize

Postby quantize » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 am

sorry to say i think Maschine is probably the better option now...

i may go hardware with it as well down the track since the controller support in Geist has been poor for a long time now.

quantize

Postby quantize » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 am

sorry to say i think Maschine is probably the better option now...

i may go hardware with it as well down the track since the controller support in Geist has been poor for a long time now.

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:05 am

Maschine is just not a valid replacement, IMO.

Why?

Because of the insane, utter lack of modulation options. You know all that stuff you can do with Graphs in Geist 2 / Tremor? Utterly non-existent in Maschine. It's like that type of functionality never occurred to anybody at NI, because it's nowhere to be found.

All you get is a shitty automation lane that records in obnoxious vertical line 'nodes'. The resolution is shit poor, editing them is an absolute pain... ugh I could go on.

So, if you like the Per-note modulation options that Geist2 provides, kiss them goodbye if you're thinking maschine.

also, maschine's Arranger is an enormous PITA as well, full of all kinds of limitations that users have been complaining about for YEARS and progress / updates have been, well, glacial...

and lastly, and probably the greatest gripe among Maschine's user base, is that all the actions that make Maschine fun to play / perform with -- hands on switching between scenes, patterns, groups + hands on muting / solo-ing, etc -- NONE of it can be recorded into the arrangement. Which makes you wonder why you're able to do any of it in the first place, if it can't even be recorded.

I mean shit, they released JAM, a whole new piece of hardware to make people buy, instead of fixing long-term issues with Maschine itself and adding features users had asked for for years and years.... that should tell you all you need to know.

----

back to FXpansion...

It sucks that Geist 2 is, indeed, really starting to feel like abandonware. This mythical 'beta testing' the devs have mentioned in here must be the longest beta cycle in the history of app testing :lol: ...or just never existed in the first place, who knows.

It's so close to being GREAT that It's very annoying that they seem to have abandoned it / left it so buggy and unstable. It basically has all the functionality that I want in a drum sequencer. I like the browser a lot to (another thing I hate about Maschine and all of its inane tag-based storing, ugh). The modulation, the graphs, the sampler controls, the ability to create polyrhythms so easily -- it's all there in Geist2, what's NOT there is STABILITY. on that front, it's a total mess.

-M

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 pm

kickthebox wrote:

I have been checking back here regularly for months in the vain hope that a usable version has been released and all we get is the same old "a beta will be out SOON"

This is unfortunate. I had the same experience with MAudio and their Trigger Finger Pro - a potentially awesome peace of accessible hardware let down by zero attention to its potential as the leader in that segment of the market. The closest thing to it at the moment is the MPD232 which I will not touch as it's under the same corporate "group".

Geist has no replacement at the moment but that probably won't last.

I just fired it up Geist and loaded an average 4/4 house beat I programmed. It sounded dull but now, throwing a few things in, I'm having delusions of being Kerri Chandler thinking this beat is amazing and worthy of some deep, dark, underground backstreet house club. Ya see...this is Geist...this is its power! Instant gratification and growth through flexibility and experimentation.

The sad thing is, Geist1 fuelled the desire for the V2 update not because it was flawed but because there was obvious potential. It had reached its limit. This piece or software has been started. Why not finish it? At least fix the glitchy crossfade looping and bring it to where Geist1 left off as an inspiring peace of software that makes people hungry for another update (not bug fix).
https://youtu.be/kkXC9ECDm5M

That's how you'll get your money for the next update.
Last edited by FluxMachina on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:11 pm

oops, please delete

konfront

Postby konfront » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 pm

How about Xfer's Nerve? Serum is a great synth and have been playing around with it and never really got down to making beats that I liked. It wasn't the first love experience with Geist1 but Steve Duda is a great guy and their (his) product support is worth supporting. Any veteran users of Nerve?

noelfelixtamayo

Postby noelfelixtamayo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:37 pm

I wish Geist2 gui was more like Geist1 gui with the rounded knobs and stuff. Geist2 feels like looking at a piece of notebook paper. I'm waiting for someone to be so kind a do a dark theme for it.

Return to “Geist2”