What's going on? - Page 7 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

What's going on?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Lawrence_fx

Re: What's going on?

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:35 am

Hi all,

Geist2 v2.0.7.52 is now available in your accounts as a public beta. Please download and install this version, which features a number of bug fixes and some new features outlined in the thread at the top of the Geist2 subforum. Please let us know any issues either on here or via. tech support, along with any steps to reproduce said issues and we'll take a look.

Thanks all for your continued patience.

konfront

Postby konfront » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks! Will check asap

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks I made some comments about the release notes. On a positive note I'm glad you are still transparent about known issues.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:06 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:
FluxMachina wrote:If looping isn't fixed I'm ditching it completely. I know people that just dabble now and then really don't matter to companies so it's no loss to them. All the best for the future if this is the case.
Just upgraded to Bitwig2 because they are supporting Linux and that's REALLY important for the future. Vst SDK now has Linux support, this is not a coincidence.

Yes I was looking at Bitwig too, looks pretty good but missing a few DAW features as it's still early days. I could sync it with Sonar I suspect. I haven't found out enough about the step sequencer options ..

Bitwig's modulators in V2 are very nice and 2.1 is already on it's way. I don't mind the new licence model either as it's pretty stable anyway and the price includes support for Linux. It's an investment in the future.

Back to Geist2. Looping is still bad but I can't bring myself to ditch it. Without this beauty there is no real incentive to dabble. My motivation has been hanging on a thread for a very long time where music tech is concerned and these days I much prefer dancing anyway. Music, beautiful woman and booze. :) Besides, all these bugs and common sense omissions across various products are too much for this ageing brain. Back in the days of youth I would spend hours upon hours learning and experimenting but now that is not realistic. I can barely watch a movie without falling asleep. lol

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:08 am

So we had an update a month ago which fixed a couple of bugs and a bigger one before that. Before that it was basically dead for many months. There's a ton of bugs still needing to be fixed, when it was released we were getting an update every 2-4 weeks.

I'm worried that the latest efforts are just a token effort, and Devs don't have the resources available to get this product sorted once and for all .. and soon. There seems to be a drive to document bugs but not to fix them with any urgency.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 am

CakeAlexS wrote:So we had an update a month ago which fixed a couple of bugs and a bigger one before that. Before that it was basically dead for many months. There's a ton of bugs still needing to be fixed, when it was released we were getting an update every 2-4 weeks.

I'm worried that the latest efforts are just a token effort, and Devs don't have the resources available to get this product sorted once and for all .. and soon. There seems to be a drive to document bugs but not to fix them with any urgency.

Hi there,

Whilst the recent updates fix the more severe crash-related bugs, we'll be releasing some more frequent updates for Geist2 in the near future to fix the smaller, less severe bugs. If you're still experiencing any severe problems relating to crashes, GUI issues or anything that is preventing you from running Geist2, please let us know by opening a new tech support ticket regarding the issues. Thanks!

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:
CakeAlexS wrote:So we had an update a month ago which fixed a couple of bugs and a bigger one before that. Before that it was basically dead for many months. There's a ton of bugs still needing to be fixed, when it was released we were getting an update every 2-4 weeks.

Hi there,

Whilst the recent updates fix the more severe crash-related bugs, we'll be releasing some more frequent updates for Geist2 in the near future to fix the smaller, less severe bugs. If you're still experiencing any severe problems relating to crashes, GUI issues or anything that is preventing you from running Geist2, please let us know by opening a new tech support ticket regarding the issues. Thanks!

Will there also be some tackling of the ever-growing feature request list? I am also worried because a year or two ago I saw Angus mention on KVR that he prefers not to release new features in point releases due to needing to update the manual and video tutorials becoming out of date. I strongly believe this is the wrong approach, and that implementing sensible feature requests is highly important in maintaining a cutting edge piece of software and keeping your customers happy!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Kickflip wrote:
Lawrence_fx wrote:

Hi there,

Will there also be some tackling of the ever-growing feature request list? I am also worried because a year or two ago I saw Angus mention on KVR that he prefers not to release new features in point releases due to needing to update the manual and video tutorials becoming out of date. I strongly believe this is the wrong approach, and that implementing sensible feature requests is highly important in maintaining a cutting edge piece of software and keeping your customers happy!

Let us agree to disagree. Imho bugs and serious usability issues need to be resolved first, and should have been resolved ages ago the progress is way too slow. There is no point in building on flimsy foundations, chances are anything built on top of it will also need bug fixes.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm

We don't even have to disagree tbh, bugs certainly need to be fixed! The reason it plays on my mind so much is that there's stuff requested very early on in Geist 1's life that was acknowledged as worth adding by both the devs and multiple users but still hasn't made it in. We're talking a 7 year wait in some cases! And for that reason, I kinda want to know if there's any plans to start putting them in there.

Also, the FRs in Geist 1 existed before the bugs in Geist 2 ;-)
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness

http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sun May 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Happy to report Geist (standalone) has not crashed since the last update during average usage.
For example:
Geist 2 - Transmod Reverb Riser (in context)
https://youtu.be/MDWpoa8NY-0

(Ed: It just crashed while trying to move a long note while playing - I don't usually move notes while it's playing which is why it probably hasn't crashed. This is infrequent enough to not be a hope killer.)

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Fri May 12, 2017 12:05 am

Lawrence_fx wrote:These have been submitted as bug reports, and will be fixed in the next update:

BR 0014933 - Pattern control mappings missing Focus function
BR 0014956 - MIDI mapping of Repeat value only reaches 1/64 instead of 1/64t at 127
BR 0014957 - MIDI mapping of Round Robin type only reaches Round Robin Reset instead of Random at 127

Is there a fix in the works for pattern loop points too? That seems to be affected by the same thing whereby 127 does not return the point to the end of the pattern.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 am

And.... Sleep.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 pm

lol, yes indeed.

A man can dream of a finished product that meets his needs but after waking up it still won't be true. Thank goodness their are alternatives available! I can at least credit FXpansion with reinvigorating my love for dabbling and creating again. Hope that's the same for a few other people that have lost their way in the sea of pocket robbing products out there. Anyway, there's plenty of life left in this old ghost. :wink:

On another note. The mappability of the Maschine controller is insane! You can have 64 pads of notes and 64 pads sending controllers. Wtf! Good thinking NI.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Happy 1st birthday Geist 2!
Disappointed but not surprised that this hasn't been acknowledged.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 am

FluxMachina wrote:Happy 1st birthday Geist 2!
Disappointed but not surprised that this hasn't been acknowledged.

I'm not sure it has a birthday whilst it is still asleep in the womb in betaland

Return to “Geist2”