vintage recording techniques problem! - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

vintage recording techniques problem!

Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Leoslayer

vintage recording techniques problem!

Postby Leoslayer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 am

Hi All,

I purchased the new expansion pack yesterday morning.

the download and installation went fairly smoothly.

when I try to open any of the presets. or kits, it loads for about five minuets, then crashes BFD.

I'm all up to date with my versions of BFD etc.

I read the system requirements for this pack before I purchased it, so I'm within the tolerances.

I contacted Tech Support yesterday morning, but have had no response.

I've contacted FXpansion's tech support before and have always had a prompt reply.

I guess Roli have a different way of going about things.

purtington

Re: vintage recording techniques problem!

Postby purtington » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 am

Yeah I'm wondering if Roli are as quick to respond as the old fx support as I might be needing some authorisations soon.

Did BFD3 create any crash logs when it crashed and if so did you send them off to tech support?

All I can suggets right now is to maybe try rolling back through some earlier builds of BFD3 to see if the crashes continue.
You could always try the old, rescanning all your content locations again if you haven't already?

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Leoslayer

Postby Leoslayer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Yup, Tried all that (and more)

Right now, I'm just looking for someone to give me a refund.

I think the VRT needs over 4gb of ram just to load (as far as I can tell) which is not mentioned anywhere in the system requirements.

Novikthewise

Postby Novikthewise » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 am

How much RAM do you have? Even though it comes with 29 Mic channels i wouldn't expect it do go over 4 GB at a resonable RAM and Streaming buffer Setting. Try to reduce the RAM and Streaming buffer settings both to 8k and see what happens.

4GB Ram is a rather low amount when you also have your DAW opened with a project.

The absolut minimum of 2GB that is mention here regarding BFD3 only works when you use BFD3 in standalone with low buffer settings.

Leoslayer

Postby Leoslayer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 am

I am using it in "stand alone" and obviously in the studio I have lots of ram.

I'm trying it in my mobile computer that only has 4gb of ram. although, it runs my other ten expansion packs no problem.

Novikthewise

Postby Novikthewise » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am

What i obvioulsy cant know is what you have in your studio. You haven't mention any of your setup yet.
But did you try my suggestion?
Last edited by Novikthewise on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leoslayer

Postby Leoslayer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am

There is only so many parameters that you can change in BFD.
I'm running it in stand alone mode at the moment, so daw settings don't come into play at this point.

So far, what I have achieved is, loading a preset, waiting for it to become responsive, then, the first ten hits on any kit piece is met with a lot of crackling but after that, it seems ok.

It is still a ten minute process from launch of bfd, to actually having a usable set of drums.

It'll be interesting to see how the computer in the studio handles it, but I won't be back in for a week or so.

Leoslayer

Postby Leoslayer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Ok,

Still super glitchy when programming grooves.

I sent an email to tech support on Saturday and still have had no reply!

purtington

Postby purtington » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Leoslayer wrote:daw settings don't come into play at this point.

I don't think Novikthewise meant your DAW settings, I think he was asking for your system specs?
RAM/CPU/Hard Drives (SSD or other?)Sound card (internal/External)

If you look at my signature and many others you'll see that you can add your full system specs to it, this is very useful when looking for help on here so people don't have to ask.

You say you have other expansions and they run fine, what other expansions do you have? Some are far less demanding than others, especially older expansions with less channels and articulations.

I think you said you have loaded the different detail/engine settings in BFD3? Full, medium and eco settings? Have they not made a difference?

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Novikthewise

Postby Novikthewise » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Leoslayer wrote:There is only so many parameters that you can change in BFD.

Exactly. And some of these are the Streaming and RAM Buffers BFD3 will use to preload and stream the samples. You also can reduce the number of velocity levels and/or switch to 16bit mode to ease up RAM consumption. 4GB is rather low for BFD3 with the newer Expansion Packs. Most of the new expansions come with much higher velocity sample counts that go in the 300 samples. If you than also have a hight number of Channels and rather large RAM and Streaming Buffer Settings you will run out of memory pretty quickly.

You might run into audio dropouts at low settings though depending on the bandwidth your HDD/SSD can deliver
Last edited by Novikthewise on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leoslayer

Postby Leoslayer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Understood.

I feel, at this point, that I'm just going to go for a refund.

I'm not willing to sacrifice any kit detail to make it run smoothly.

As I said in my original post, I've met all of the system requirements and it will not run to a satisfactory level.

I have many expansion packs, and of course the core library for bfd3, and they all run at full tilt without issues. (even on my remote machine)

the core library being the most recent. (unless the virtually Erskine pack is newer?)

Novikthewise

Postby Novikthewise » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 pm

But you don't necessarily have to make a compromise in detail level. If you use BFD3 in standalone your HDD/SSD might handle the load with lower buffers just fine. You just have to try it instead of going into denial without adressing the issue.

And honestly. I am a BFD user for many years now and have tested quite a bit with it regarding detail level that is given by a library and what is actually necessary for it. Joe Barresi Evil drums for instance come with as much as 250 samples for the main articulations. I still hear no difference in variance when i restrict the engine to 128 layers as 128 is still plenty.
The Core Library comes with up to 80 Samples for velocity and the snares there handle fast stuff much better than the snares from the deluxe collection that have a higher velocity sample stack up to 128. It also depends on how well the dynamics of the samples translates to the incoming velocity and how well those were chosen.

Just upgrade your mobile computer to 8GB. 4GB is just not up to date.

Return to “BFD Expansion Packs & Convertors”