GEIST 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

GEIST 3

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

flatulence

GEIST 3

Postby flatulence » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 am

Hi guys at Fxpansion.

I am desperately willing to upgrade to Geist 2 but i won’t.

I am trying to be in your shoes now.
It must be very frustrating to see people so pissed after all this work to improve what used to be a amazing piece of software.
But let’s face it….Geist 2 is a total failure.
I dont think it’s gonna be any better soon.
Now even the name Geist 2 is crippled.

There is no shame about it. These things happen sometimes.

Assuming that your team still genuinely wants to make this software the classic beast it should be, i suggest that you jump directly Geist 3.

Announce officially that for obvious reasons the development is delayed.
Take the time you need to come back to us with a bomb, not a christmas tree, and stop keeping us waiting in vain.

In order to cash in for the efforts you put in Geist 2, i propose that you :

- take Geist (first version),
- keep it EXACTLY as it is.
- add 64 pads per engine
- add Sampling to pad without renaming
- call it Zeitgeist.

I would happily buy this update as if it was Geist 2.
When Geist 3 is ready, i get it for free.

All my respect

Pierre 8)

CakeAlexS

Re: GEIST 3

Postby CakeAlexS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Lol.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Where to start?! There's improvements in Geist 2 that I would certainly not like to lose.

I would prefer bugs to be fixed up and important requested features added to the structure of Geist 2 - including a few things that never got added back from Guru (and I've been requesting from day 1)

Also, leaving Geist 2 as it is and going straight onto Geist 3 would REALLY annoy the users who paid for Geist 2. Not a good move to satisfy your desire to get Geist 3 for free :lol:

Logic X is a good example to look to imo. When that was first released it had undergone a whole revamp (7-9 were barely distinguishable), with loads of new fixes and features. Of course though, it brought its own new problems and there were many fixes and features that were left behind.

But the updates came... again and again and again. Up to the release of X, people were jumping ship from Logic - even to their nemesis Cubase, but the pacled updates restored a *lot* of user confidence. The update logs themselves took ages to read, and were full of things that made you say "woo, they fixed it!", "aaaaah! I've been wanting it to do that!", and "wow... I didn't know I wanted it to do that".

Predictably, a few individual users on Gearslutz will complain that their particular bug wasn't fixed and call for Logic 11, but the majority are glad for the updates, and have faith that even though the fix/feature hasn't happened yet, it will come.

Updates are massively important in my view, as is listening to the users.

It's possible to turn this situation around. It'll take a bunch of grafting, but it's possible.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

flatulence

Postby flatulence » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 am

Hahahah.!!!!…… my post was a bit blurry. Sorry :D

I don’t want anything for free.

I just thought that many people would be ready to pay the price of the upgrade (89€) but to have the obvious missing things implemented in Geist 1.

64 pads per engine and easier sample to pad to name few.

It is a lot of money for a little work but at least Fxpansion can get the money they are expecting and need for the development of Geist 2.

When it’s ready they call it Geist 3, turn the page of Geist 2 for good and restore the trust .

Then all the people who kindely bought the minor upgrade of Geist 1 (89€) dont have to pay for the final release of Geist 2 (Let say Geist 3).

I am just afraid that at one point, someone at Roli tired of losing money will close the case forever.

Honestly who wants to spend 179€ on a software that is notoriously crippled ?
8)

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 am

You may be underestimating the work that it would take to add those features! And also, all the Geist 2 users would much rather that work was channeled towards Geist 2 :wink:
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am

10 Print "Isn't this fun"
20 Goto 10

flatulence

Postby flatulence » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am

Hum.....it is may be not that easy. I am not a programmer. :?

konfront

Postby konfront » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 pm

When was the last update for tremor? For Maul? For Etch? For any of the products in their line? It’s not just Geist2 that’s disappointing.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 am

They're not ready for Geist 3. They need to really hire some more programmers and a better product manager, someone who actually cares about the products. I don't feel they do. At least from seeing that the last update for Geist was in March and a slew of complaints and not even a minor update. I think Geist 2 can be a great plug in.. but they're letting it DIE!! All the complaints keep piling up and they're not stepping up to the plate. Do SOMETHING!! I keep getting emails about expansions being released and it pisses me off that they won't fix the product that uses these expansions.. NO ONE IS GOING TO BUY IT!! But Im going to stop bashing.. Im sure with all of this waiting..The next update should be HUGE!!! Im anticipating it..

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 am

konfront wrote:When was the last update for tremor? For Maul? For Etch? For any of the products in their line? It’s not just Geist2 that’s disappointing.

This one always gets me... this request for a boost to the Envelope Follower in Etch has been standing for over 5 years now! (and is also requested for Bloom)
It's a great filter but the env follower barely moves with a correctly gain staged mixdown :(

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7578032&p=81939

It's frustrating when I know that (probably) all it takes is a simple thing like this:

envGain = envGain * 4.0
if (envGain > 1.0) envGain = 1.0;

Or even just a couple of tweaks to the range parameters of the UI code.

I feel like there's loads of things like this that would only take a few minutes to sort out, and make a lot of users a lot more relaxed and confident about things, and this in turn would feed through to heightened confidence in potential customers.

We need some updates!

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

seige313

.... someone who actually cares about the products. I don't feel they do.

it's clear as daylight that they don't care two hoots about their products and particularly their customers.

Geist 2 was rushed out by FX so they could make some quick bucks prior to the sale to Roli - they knew perfectly well that it was not ready for release but were happy to take our money for it. And they have not followed up by supporting it with any sort of conviction.

In my mind this borders on CRIMINAL. And if FX or Roli had any sense of decency they would have prioritised getting this thing fixed well before any new products. Clearly this hasn't happened.

FX /Roli deserve to fail. And that is a shame as Geist is great and Geist 2 could have been a whole bunch better.
Windows 7 64 - i7 4790k - 16GB ram - SSD.
Windows 10 64 - HP X360 - i6200 - 8GB - SSD
Studio One, Samplitude, Reaper, Bitwig.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 am

kickthebox wrote:
seige313

.... someone who actually cares about the products. I don't feel they do.

it's clear as daylight that they don't care two hoots about their products and particularly their customers.

Geist 2 was rushed out by FX so they could make some quick bucks prior to the sale to Roli - they knew perfectly well that it was not ready for release but were happy to take our money for it. And they have not followed up by supporting it with any sort of conviction.

In my mind this borders on CRIMINAL. And if FX or Roli had any sense of decency they would have prioritised getting this thing fixed well before any new products. Clearly this hasn't happened.

FX /Roli deserve to fail. And that is a shame as Geist is great and Geist 2 could have been a whole bunch better.

Its funny cause I told them they were going to receive a lot of backlash from this version. It just wasn't thought all the way through. Master transpose should've stayed on the first page. Being able to make Geist act like a Piano Roll, no fixed grid. Like no one uses the timing convert feature. Why is that still there? Like the complaints came down from Geist 1 about this feature why is it still there? I don't know. I like the GUI I can't lie its not bad on the eyes at all but the editing of the wav files can be better as well more intuitive. They definitely dropped the ball on this one.. Im literally reading all these comments like "I told you this was going to happen!!" I just HOPE that with all of this time of not updating they really come with something BIG!!!!

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 pm

seige313 wrote: I just HOPE that with all of this time of not updating they really come with something BIG!!!!

Having a dream is nice, I guess.
Windows 7 64 - i7 4790k - 16GB ram - SSD.
Windows 10 64 - HP X360 - i6200 - 8GB - SSD
Studio One, Samplitude, Reaper, Bitwig.

noisyneil

Postby noisyneil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 am

Geist 1 is still the most powerful break slicer going - beats the shit out of maschine IMHO. Got Geist 2 when it came out but always go back to v1 because of the 'classify' function, which makes it a secret weapon for me. Totally agree about having more pads - often feel limited with longer loops.

erichzann

Postby erichzann » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

I'm a little surprised here, I see some things that aren't liked when compared with Geist 1 but I don't quite get what's so bad about Geist 2. I use it fairly frequently and I really like it. I never used the 1st version though. Are there major bugs I'm missing or does this come down to preferences?

I ask because I HAVE had weird little issues when loading presets that I've made. It only came down to me moving files around though. If there are serious pitfalls that I haven't encountered yet I'd like to avoid them. Would someone mind giving me a summation of serious bugs if there are some? My sense is that this is about workflow issues not being addressed by FXpansion, is that right? Thanks for any help!

Return to “Geist2”