Forum

FXpansion Forum

MIDI learn issue

Support for Bloom

Moderator: SKoT_FX

__BT41__

MIDI learn issue

Postby __BT41__ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Using an Oxygen49 controller in Logic 9.

I can control other effects parameters (like Waves) fine.

I can control Tremor and DCAM Synth parameters fine.

However, I cannot control Fxpansion effects (like Bloom and Etch parameters). Does not work if I try the MIDI learn function within, or if I assign via Logic's controller assignments window.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 am

Hi,

I believe Logic cannot sent MIDI to normal insert effects. Instead you have to setup the effect as the input on an Instrument channel from the "AU MIDI controlled effects" submenu and then use the sidechain to send the audio from another channel through it.

__BT41__

Postby __BT41__ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi,

No, I can definitely send MIDI to other insert effects. I tried both Logic effects and some Waves effects.

Only the Fxpansion ones do not work (Etch and Bloom).

Thx.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Can you explain how? As far as I'm aware it's impossible to send MIDI to insert effects in any way other than the way I described.

__BT41__

Postby __BT41__ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Create a channel with some effect insert. Open Logic's controller assignments window. Put it in learn mode. Click a control in the effect. The name of that control will appear in the controller assignments window. Then I move a knob or slider on my Oxygen49. That registers in the controller assignments window. Then I click learn mode again. And now the knob (or slider) controls the control in the effect that I assigned it to.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks (Logic's not my 1st DAW). I think I've reproduced the problem here. Oddly it seems to work fine if inserted on an Instrument channel, but not on an Audio channel.

Looking into it...

__BT41__

Postby __BT41__ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:15 pm

No worries, thanks for the quick response.

Interesting... I am pretty sure that I have this problem on an instrument channel - I will double check that later.

Thanks,
B

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm

OK, problem solved I think.

You have to have some audio running on the track to make it work (import some audio and press play, then try the MIDI learn).

It's a Logic "featurebug" to do with AU Music Effects which handle their own MIDI (ig. Maul/Bloom/Etch/DCAMDynamics). The reason some effects do work is because they are a different class of AU plugin called a AU FX which let the host handle their MIDI. For some reason one class needs audio running through it and the other doesn't.

Or so our programmers tell me :)

Try it.

__BT41__

Postby __BT41__ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:28 am

Tried this out with both audio and instrument tracks. While I still have no success with the built in MIDI Learn function, I CAN successfully assign via Logic's controller assignment window.

While it would be easier if the MIDI Learn worked, this is not too bad.

Thanks for investigating.

B

Return to “Bloom”