Do you use BFD3 for midi editing or your DAW? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Do you use BFD3 for midi editing or your DAW?

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

don1thedon

Do you use BFD3 for midi editing or your DAW?

Postby don1thedon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Although purchased before Christmas I've only really tinkered with BFD3 to date.
One of the improvements I do note is it appears like it has very powerful capability with respect to editing the midi grooves & construction of tracks. To date I've alway done this type of work in my DAW (currently Studio One 2) but I was wondering if people are finding BFD functionality sufficient to support their construction of songs as it is more of an integrated/complete approach. Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the best approach to this?
Thanks Don

Johnw123

Postby Johnw123 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:43 pm

The PRV in Sonar is my editing home.

don1thedon

Postby don1thedon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeh I tend to build upon 1 or 2 patterns from within the DAW and typically use S1 but just feel with the improved and specific editing in BFD3 it might be time to adapt a little. Obvious I know but I hadn't thought about importing into BFD, it's something I'd not considered ... maybe best of both worlds?

jord

Postby jord » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm

All of my drum work is done in the DAW, either by drawing it in or playing it on my padKontrol or Maschine. This way, I can move things around a lot more freely. In Logic, I have everything tied to arrangement markers that I can move around, thus taking entire chunks of the song and rearranging it as I feel, and not just the drums. I also find it a lot easier, for me at least, to push kits around the grid.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 am

The main reason I use BFD is because of the included sequencer.

Its so easy to program or record directly into it.

I can make/record all of my parts into BFD3 as separate grooves, arrange them how ever I want in the drum track, ect...

It's just an intuitive way to program drums.

jimk

Postby jimk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:24 am

SONAR PRV here as well. Over the years, you get pretty good at creating grooves tied to a time line. Sometimes, though I do use a keyboard controller for some of the fills that are syncopated. I can hear them and feel them but trying to lay them out in PRV sometimes isn't as easy as it seems.

JK

andyjh

Postby andyjh » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 am

I have never used the grooves in BFD, never have and never will - I just don't work that way (I score my drum parts in Sibelius), I always wished BFD never had the grooves section, it always struck me as a gimmick add on to help sell the product.

There are some things that BFD does in a certain way because of the groove section, and it's a shame that some functionality of BFD is affected by it having to have the groove section.

It would be interested to see where this thread goes, in terms of how many user actually use the grooves.

gaheba

Postby gaheba » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm

I use BFD2 and 3's grooves and the groove editor all the time. Do all my drums there. I am not a drummer, a keyboard player or a finger tapper. Just a mickey mouse guitarist who thinks "thank You Fx for making my life a little bit - ok a lot - easier"!

I dont understand what functionality is lost because of the groove section? To me it adds functionality. Its one of the things that sets BFD apart from the competition, esp the new groove editor in BFD3 which I think is a massive upgrade. I would have upgraded for that alone.

don1thedon

Postby don1thedon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am

Interesting, from "never have & never will" to "all the time", isn't it great to see the diversity of approaches to music creation? For my part I think I will invest some time into working with the BFD groove editor a little more, it'll break my current workflow but I suspect it might be more beneficial in the long run. Thanks again for your replies & comment.
Don

Granitza

Postby Granitza » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 am

I create all my drum tracks from scratch in the BFD3 Groove Editor. I don't use any presets from the Groove Library. I do all the edits in BFD3, not in my DAW (Protools).

Novikthewise

Postby Novikthewise » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

If i use the internal Goove Editor mainly depends on the DAW i am working with. I work with Cubase and Studio One. I use Studio one almost exclusively for pure Audio stuff. When it comes to midi i use Cubase. I find working and editing Midi is far better done in Cubase. Studio one is lacking alot with midi i find. For instance the drum editor is basically a piano roll editor. I don't like that approach for drums as the length of the notes doesn't matter. The humanizing function in Studio one isn't very flexible as well. you can not use velocity randomisation and position randomisation seperately.
I do everything in the drumeditor of cubase as i find its easier and faster than the BFD3 ones. Editing velocities and such.....The quantizising Funktion is better in my opinion as well.

don1thedon

Postby don1thedon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Novikthewise wrote:If i use the internal Goove Editor mainly depends on the DAW i am working with. I work with Cubase and Studio One. I use Studio one almost exclusively for pure Audio stuff. When it comes to midi i use Cubase. I find working and editing Midi is far better done in Cubase. Studio one is lacking alot with midi i find. For instance the drum editor is basically a piano roll editor. I don't like that approach for drums as the length of the notes doesn't matter. The humanizing function in Studio one isn't very flexible as well. you can not use velocity randomisation and position randomisation seperately.
I do everything in the drumeditor of cubase as i find its easier and faster than the BFD3 ones. Editing velocities and such.....The quantizising Funktion is better in my opinion as well.

I'm a former Cubase user myself but moved to Studio One a couple of years ago. I agree that in terms of Midi, Cubase is streets ahead (although I am less inclined to OVER WORK midi stuff with S1!). Drum are soooo important hence my interest to explore a potentially better solution than I currently use thru S1. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “BFD3”