Forum

FXpansion Forum

Two questions regarding BFD3

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Sycraft

Two questions regarding BFD3

Postby Sycraft » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:21 pm

1) Is there a trick to getting the usage meters to work? They say they are disabled and don't show anything. Not a real big deal, but I'm just interested in keeping an eye on things since I'm having fun building a massive kit.

2) Is there a way to set the engine to allow for more than 128 voices? Again, massive kit.

Thanks.

Johnw123

Postby Johnw123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm

I think he is referring to the Dashboard.

Sycraft

Postby Sycraft » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Yes, I'm talking about the meters in the dashboard. And I'm not asking about velocity layers, but total voices the instrument can play. It is set to 128 by default and cannot seem to be raised.

Sycraft

Postby Sycraft » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 am

Well in most samplers a "voice" is a single sample being played. So each time you trigger a note, another voice is used until the sustain fully decays. With things with long decays, like cymbals, that can take a long time. As such if you trigger a lot of notes in rapid succession, it needs a lot of voices. Also in most samplers, each separate microphone channel would be a separate voice. So if you triggered a drum through 5 different mics, that is 5 voices.

BFD doesn't display voices in use but in Kontakt, which does, I've exceeded 200 voices in use on a drum set with cymbal rolls and so on (because you are triggering the cumbal repeatedly). Heck with a piano I've exceeded 500, since each note uses more than one voice (one for the sample, one for the key noise, one for the release).

Maybe FXpansion uses different terms, but if they talk about voices like most samplers do, exceeding 128 voices is not a hard thing to do.

jord

Postby jord » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 am

It's a little different in BFD3's case. The engine works a little different than other samplers. One "voice" is the complete hit with all mic positions as well as bleed. You're more than likely never to have more than 128 drum hits at any given time.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Return to “BFD3”